Invitation to Join a Round Table Session on Climate/Environmental Justice
& the Role of Legal Service Providers
Roya Institute is delegated to share an invitation to participate in a round table session. This important and timely event will be on Wednesday, November 30th, 3:00-4:30 p.m. Bangkok time (8:00-9:30 am GMT). The session will focus on Climate/Environmental Justice and the Role of Legal Service Providers.
The session will be divided into two parts.
For the first part, some of our colleagues will share updates on their current programs/initiatives:
· Marlon Manuel will share the land and environmental justice initiative of Namati and the Legal Empowerment Network.
· Nick Booth will talk about the United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) climate/environmental justice programming in the Asia-Pacific region.
· Asia Wiy will introduce the Youth Advisory Group on Environmental and Climate Justice and share the group’s plans in the area of pro bono legal services.
· Sara Hossain will speak about Bangladesh Legal Aid and Services Trust’s (BLAST) partnership with law firms in providing direct legal services, engaging in public interest litigation, advocacy for change, and fellowship programs.
· Sue Mahoney, Gabriela Christian-Hare, and Olivia Roney of the Australian Pro Bono Centre will give an overview of some of the Centre’s recent work in pro bono and climate justice, including the Global Pro Bono Climate Action Portal.
· Pil Kyu Hwang will share GongGam Human Rights Law Foundation’s experience in working with law firms and corporations on the issue of corporate due diligence.
For the second part, we will have a collective brainstorming on this question:
How could legal service providers (especially big law firms) contribute to environmental justice work by ensuring that corporations adhere to certain rules (whether mandatory government policies or voluntary guidelines) that ensure accountability for corporate activities and respect for the rights of communities?
If you have not yet registered, please do so, and please share the invitation/registration link with your partner organizations and colleagues.